What are the rules to participate by phone and how do I request to do this?

Rules for a telephone hearing:

  • The party requesting the telephone participation must reside outside of Washington County, unless there are extenuating documented circumstances (hospitalization, immobilization, etc.).
  • A party may only request a telephone hearing for support conferences or hearings. There are no facilities in the Courthouse (where contempt hearings and exceptions arguments are heard) for a telephone hearing.
  • If a party requests telephone participation and at the beginning the conference or hearing is not present or cannot be reached by telephone, the conference or hearing officer shall proceed without that party. The Conference or Hearing Officer will only attempt to call one time.
  • Any party requesting participation by telephone must be present at the phone number provided to the Court at the time of the proceeding and for up to 1 hour after the assigned time.
  • Documentation for the conference or hearing must be submitted to the Domestic Relations Section by mail prior to the date and time of the hearing. The record will not be kept open for additional evidence to be submitted.

Telephone Participation

How to request participation by telephone: When the scheduling notice is received a party may contact the Domestic Relations Section to be sent a Telephone Conference Request Form (PDF).

The form must be completed and returned by the time specified on that form, but not less than three days prior to the hearing.

Show All Answers

1. What is support and who may receive it?
2. How do I file for support?
3. What if there is a Protection From Abuse order against the person from whom I am seeking support?
4. How is the support amount determined?
5. How paternity is established and why is it important?
6. What must I do if I receive an Order to appear for a support conference or hearing?
7. Where do I go for support conferences or hearings?
8. Do I have to appear for my support hearing if I live outside of Washington County, Pennsylvania?
9. What are the rules to participate by phone and how do I request to do this?
10. What will happen if I don’t appear for a conference or hearing before the Court?
11. What happens at a support conference?
12. What happens at a support hearing?
13. How do I file exceptions?
14. What are my obligations if I receive public assistance benefits?
15. What are my obligations while I have an active support case?
16. How do I change my support order?
17. What do I do if I am paying spousal support and a divorce is granted?
18. What do I do if one of the children who I pay support for turns 18 and graduates high school?
19. What is PACSES?
20. How do I pay my support?
21. What do I do if I cannot pay my support?
22. What type of enforcement actions may be taken if I don't pay my support?
23. What if my driver's license is suspended for failure to pay support?
24. What is SCDU and how do I obtain information concerning payments?
25. How do I collect unreimbursed medical expenses under my order of support?
26. What is the PACSES IVR and how do I use it?